Advise low‑risk multiparous [and nulliparous with additional explanation] women that planning to give birth at home or in a midwifery‑led unit (freestanding or alongside) is particularly suitable for them because the rate of interventions is lower and the outcome for the baby is no different compared with an obstetric unit.
Faith… the choice to believe in something without proof (and yes, for us, it is a choice)… does not ever work for us. Our heads and hearts simply do notfunction that way. I know this because I’ve tried to believe, driven myself to ulcers, and failed. Trying to use faith with smart kids is a lot like trying to mix oil and water without any additives. Yes, you can do it… sort of… if you beat the snot out of it. But even then it’s strictly temporary, eventually it still separates.
America and Japan have the highest rates of adoption in the world – with one big difference. While the vast majority of adoptees in the U.S. are children, they account for just 2% of adoptions in Japan. The other 98% are males around 25 to 30.
ja: A pani učiteľka bola aká maska?
ja: Ouboj? To je čo?
Kubko: No ouboj. Klobúk mala, čižmy a takú pištoľ…
Kubko: Keď chceš naštartovať prskalku, musíš ju namočiť do sviečky najprv.
Kika: Mami, a trpaslík je cicavec alebo necicavec?
keď si na mňa ľahol:
Kubko: Mami, Ty si taká kopcatá. Kopcatejšia ako tato.
Kubko: A budem mať na lyžovanie aj tie robotské topánky.
Kubko: A kedy tam narastie zase nový cencúľ?
Sometimes people say to me, “why should I read a poem?” There are plenty of answers, from the profound – a poem is such an ancient means of communication that it feels like an evolutionary necessity – to the practical; a poem is like a shot of espresso – the fastest way to get a hit of mental and spiritual energy.
We could talk about poetry as a rope in a storm. Poetry as one continuous mantra of mental health. Poetry as the world’s biggest, longest-running workshop on how to love. Poetry as a conversation across time. Poetry as the acid-scrub of cliche.
We could say that the poem is a lie detector. That the poem is a way of thinking without losing the feeling. That a poem is a way of feeling without being too overwhelmed by feeling to think straight. That the poem is “the best words in the best order” (Coleridge). That the poem “keeps the heart awake to truth and beauty” (Coleridge again – who can resist those Romantics?). That the poem is an intervention: “The capacity to make change in existing conditions” (Muriel Rukeyser). That poetry, said Seamus Heaney, is “strong enough to help”.
Carol Ann Duffy has often spoken about poetry as an everyday event and not as a special occasion. She wants us to enjoy poetry, to have as much as we like, to be able to help ourselves to a good, fresh supply, to let poetry be as daily as talking – because poetry is talking. Words begin in the mouth before they hit the page. Speech is older than writing, and poetry is as old as speech. Poems are best spoken to get the full weight and taste of the words and the run of the lines. Difficult poems become easier when spoken.
Vo štvrtok večer som sa s kolegami kúsok pred vypršaním časového limitu dostala z The Room (síce bez nápovedy, ale nie úplne štandardným spôsobom… zážitok odporúčam). A zhodou okolností sa ku mne dostal aj článok na podobnú tému.
equality doesn’t mean justice:
pred dnešnou lyžovačkou (áno, aj s deťmi; áno, deti išli aj na vleku; áno, traja dospelí mali čo robiť) sme včera motivačne pozerali tento film (Bol síce divný, ale zábery kopcov boli pekné a komentáre obecenstva vtipné, takže sa to dalo pozrieť.):
kde: stanica Záriečie
kedy: štvrtok 15. 1. 2015, 18.00
o čom: Čo je to vlastne feminizmus? Je to boj alebo zmierenie? Týka sa len žien alebo aj mužov?
s kým: Do diskusie Agora si tentoraz Peter Cibulka pozval Janu Cvikovú – zakladateľku feministického kultúrneho časopisu Aspekt, Darinu Arce z Inštitútu rodovej rovnosti a výtvarníčku a filmovú teoretičku Evu Filovú.